Aug 5, 2009

Newfoundland Day 9

How can it be day 9 already? You really need so much more time for a place like Newfoundland. Whenever I go on a trip I have certain shots in my head that I want to get....and there wasn't enough time to finish the list. There's always next time.

We got up early and went to see Puffins at Elliston and the Bonavista Lighthouse. No luck, so I photographed the lighthouse and beautiful scenery.



We also spend an hour watching a beautiful Humpback which was feeding very close to shore. He seemed to be having a wonderful time "flippering".

On its side or back, the whale raises one or both flippers and slaps the water’s surface. The flippers are extremely long, measuring up to one third of the total body length – or 4.5 meters (14.8 feet). The splash, vibration and sound that this behavior made was incredible.

We left to drive to St. Johns for our final night because we had an early flight and didn't want to risk driving in dangerous hours with the possibilities of fog and moose.

Of course we stopped along the way trying to pack as much sightseeing in as possible. We found Trinity and Trinity East after some wrong turns.....once again, a stunning area.

Once in St. Johns we went to find typical Newfoundland houses which are so colorful and really make it seem like an unusual and beautiful place. We heard about a much-photographed set of houses on Battery Road and Lower Battery. Note to anyone going here......walk! A certain someone got the rental car so stuck in the winding tiny one-lane streets that I wondered if we would ever get it out. I can just picture the call to the rental agency. "Sorry about your car. It can be picked up on Battery Street wedged between two houses. Oh....you may want to bring air support to help load it." Thanks for that terrifying and yet funny experience Mum!

Then off for a last look at Signal Hill.

(and I checked my lottery ticket just in case I won…that way I could just stay! No luck.)

No comments: