Dec 31, 2013

Happy New Year

Happy New Year by Megan Lorenz
Happy New Year, a photo by Megan Lorenz on Flickr.

As we enter a New Year I find myself reflecting on 2013. My highlights would have to include getting phone calls from a National Geographic Editor, the honor of being a finalist in the annual NWF contest and other contest awards, signing up with some big agencies who work with me to license images, many exciting publications of my work, having the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people through photography and travel. I visited Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, Watkins Glen, Yellowstone and the Tetons along with many more local trips and camping for the first time in more than 20 years. I had some incredible wildlife encounters which I will never forget and I feel like I've grown as a photographer and on a personal level.

My life and heart feel very full with a job that is my passion and friends & family I love. I've been blessed with parents who are always supportive of me and my photography and it always means so much to hear they are proud of me. They've always been there and have shaped who I am and what I believe in.

With the good always comes the bad and this year was no exception. After the loss of my photography mentor and good friend in May, I often find myself a bit lost without his guidance. Gary was an important part of my life and I'm so grateful that I had him in my life even though it wasn't for long enough. I hope he realized how much I loved him and appreciated his encouragement, advice, willingness to share his knowledge and friendship. Did he realize that my successes never would have happened without him? He will always be remembered because I can't take a photo without hearing his advice running through my head.

The last time I saw Gary was three days before he died and he appeared healthy and happy. As I drove back to Cape Coral after visiting him and his lovely wife...I kicked myself as I'd forgotten to get a photo of us together. I thought about going back but decided that I'd just have to remember to do that next time I saw him. But there was no next time. That's really hard for me to swallow and it brings tears to my eyes every time that memory comes to my mind. I usually don't make New Year's Resolutions but I'm making one this year. I resolve to be more like Gary. To be open and giving with the people that I love, to express my feelings, to make sure they feel special and loved and to take more photos of those people and the special moments. I'm a photographer and yet I hardly have any photos of the most important people in my life, there's something very wrong with that.

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy 2014 filled with great sightings, successes and time with those you love.

No comments: