Dec 11, 2013

Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland by Megan Lorenz
Winter Wonderland, a photo by Megan Lorenz on Flickr.

Just a quick note about the foxes: Thank you for all the nice comments about the images, they certainly seem to be popular. I think many of my contacts will agree that I'm usually very forthcoming with locations and tips for wildlife I've photographed whether it's local or far from home. I believe that everyone that has a respect for nature should be able to see, photograph and experience these wonderful species.

Over the last few days I have been flooded with messages, emails and even offers of payment to divulge the foxes location. To prevent this turning into a circus and causing undue stress on the fox, I'm keeping the location private. Please know that I do not share that information with anyone including close personal friends and this is for many reasons. One of the most disruptive things to the fox would be a surge in the number of people visiting their den and the possibility that the less scrupulous workshop leaders would be willing to take people to the site. Would they leave their den? Get stressed and have a bad outbreak of mange? etc.

I have spent a considerable amount of time with these fox gaining their trust and I am very attached to them. I won't do anything to put them in danger. Please know that I feel terrible every time I receive a message from a close contact and I'm unable to share the info. I have a few photography friends that have been generous to share sightings with me and I hate that I can't return the favor in this situation.

There are lots of fox in Algonquin, just walk the trails and drive around during the right time of day/year and you might be lucky enough to see them. If you know of this location or if/when you do become aware of any fox den, I hope you think about what effects disclosing their location could have on the fox and make their needs a priority.

No comments: