Aug 5, 2009

Newfoundland Day 1

Once we landed in St. Johns, we checked into our accommodations and wasted no time getting out and exploring the area.

Our first stop was Signal Hill. An area so rich with history and stunning views. Perhaps that's why 97% of tourists to Newfoundland visit this iconic landmark.

Originally known as "The Lookout", It was named Signal Hill in 1762 for the practice of signaling the arrival of ships with signal flags. The hill was also instrumental to our defense and communication history.

Our second stop of the day....Cape Spear. I wish I'd had more time because this is a spot you could easily spend days photographing the landscapes, old WW2 buildings and lighthouses. It's the most easterly point in North America.
We saw a few whales in the distance, spent hours photographing the shoreline and by the time I got around to the lighthouses......the light was fading fast. Next time I make it to Newfoundland, I'll be spending more time there!!!

We quickly realized that this trip was going to be a big test of strength and endurance. To make the most of Newfoundland you have to walk. And when I say walk, I mean heavy trekking up and down steep terrain, loose rock, and long trails. Then add who knows how many pounds of photography equipment and you've got yourself a great workout!!

Each day we were carrying around two camera bodies, a wide-angle lens,70-200 f/2.8 IS, 100-400, the 400mm f/2.8 IS (AKA: The Beast), a tripod and heavy Kirk BH1 Ballhead, raingear, various filters and gadgets, drinks, the ever-so-important GPS, jackets etc.

I have muscles aching that I didn't even know existed. But that's just the kind of "vacation" I needed and wanted.

The Rock

No comments: