Aug 5, 2009

Newfoundland Day 5

We made the long drive to Bonavista stopping along the way. When we arrived we went to the Dungeon Provincial Park which has sheep, cows and horses grazing on the land. Had an encounter with a very curious horse who decided that he’d approach me when I got out of the car to photograph the landscapes. He nearly pushed me over a few times and seemed really disappointed that I didn’t have food….but he decided to stick around and stay close anyway.

The highlight of this park is “The Dungeon” where the cliffs give way into a mammoth opening with two seaward-side channels. Continued erosion has led to inland collapse of the cave’s roof.



Then we went to get my “puffin fix” at the Bonavista Lighthouse and the Elliston Colony.

I've been told that the wind has to be blowing a certain direction for them to land on the cliff enabling nice close up shots. It was blowing the wrong way so I did the best I could photographing them on Bird Island. The Elliston Puffin site is home to over 400 breeding pairs and is actually the closest viewing of Puffins from land in North America.

We spend hours there watching as they went out to the ocean and brought back Caplin and other fish for their families. It's so funny to watch them land....they are clumsy birds and I was actually concerned that one of them would tumble off the cliff. We saw more somersaults than in a gymnastics competition.

I See You

No comments: