Apr 8, 2011

Incident #4


Incident #4, originally uploaded by Megan Lorenz.

I wake up really early in the morning so I can transfer the rest of my CF cards to the backup drive because I was too tired to finish it the night before. Sunrise is about 7:30am so I don't have a lot of time to waste.

The backup drive is still plugged in from the night before and when I try to access it....it's not registering on the computer. The computer see's that a drive is there but won't display how much space is available, how much is used and won't show me any of the files.

Usually I would have a second redundant drive on any trip. The one time I don't...and this happens! I needed access to a large number of my 2010 original RAW files during my time in Florida, so they were on one backup drive and I was saving all new photos to the other.

More than two weeks of my trip was on the failed drive.

The drive is now in the hands of skilled people in the hopes of recovering the lost files. I have my fingers crossed :-)

It was my own fault and I should have known better. Considering how cheap it is to buy external drives it's a crazy mistake to make.

Never do something once thinking the worst can't happen. It can and will.

No comments: