Aug 27, 2011

Banana Bird

Banana Bird by Megan Lorenz
Banana Bird, a photo by Megan Lorenz on Flickr.

By the time I get home, I'll have been gone for 5 weeks dividing my time between South Africa and Kenya to scout for our upcoming Nature's Photo Adventures workshops.

In South Africa I spent time around Cape Town, The Sabi Sands, Kruger National Park and Joburg.

I tortured my poor guide Robert, making him stop for every Yellow Billed Hornbill we saw - and they are all over the place! I recorded a video when we stopped at a picnic site for lunch and he had a hard time fending them off. You can hear me laughing in the video but 5 min. later the tables were turned....I was just about to take a bite of my lunch and one came and stole it right from my mouth, smacking me in the face in the process. Thief.

If it wasn't the Hornbills, it was the Vervet Monkeys. One in particular was very aggressive and charged me a few times with his teeth bared. I stood my ground and yelled at him but he'd charge over and over again. Somehow I don't think he'll be around for long.

Kenya's itinerary has been keeping me busy with visits to Nairobi, Amboseli, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

I love how different the two countries are from one another. I've had completely different experiences in each place and seen so many incredible moments.

I've been burning the candle at both ends but will have lots to share on my return. Time to finish uploading CF cards to the computer, charge my batteries and head to bed! The Hyena's are making a tonne of noise outside right now but I'm so tired that I think I'll be able to sleep through anything ;-)

No comments: