Oct 1, 2013

American Bison

American Bison by Megan Lorenz
American Bison, a photo by Megan Lorenz on Flickr.

I'm finally back home and just in time since Yellowstone is now closed to day-use visitors and 48 Hours to find alternate arrangements for those staying in the park. Glad I picked the dates that I did!!

It was a fantastic trip with lots of amazing sightings and a few eerie wildlife encounters. I wanted to be close to nature and that's exactly what I got.

Since we had lots of time, I'd booked to stay in a few locations to minimize driving and really get to see all of the park (except I didn't book any time at the Cody entrance which I will do next time.) I've been asked what was my favorite place to stay but it's impossible to choose. You can't go wrong with Mammoth/Gardiner, West Yellowstone, Jackson or Silver Gate and you'll see different things at each one. Out of those, I'd have to say that staying in Silver Gate makes you feel like you're in a different world. I loved how remote it felt, had the perfect cabin (which was right beside the "Grizzly Highway"...more on that later!) We had a fox that came to visit each night and it was the perfect gateway to both the Lamar Valley and The Beartooth Highway!

I'm feeling pretty lucky right about now :-D

Anyway, here's the first photo....a Bison in Hayden Valley.

No comments: